Here we are!
Last month we finally dared the big step! We removed the Flow frames to harvest our first honey ever from the Flow Hive.
As mentioned in our previous “Honey Flow” post we encountered some difficulties all along the route. We started installing the Flow Hive quite late for the season (13th of May) so we weren’t able to have a spring honey collection. Furthermore the weather didn’t work with us too, cold temperature led to late pollination from the bees. We had to reenforce the hive three times with bees as the Bees were weak and didn’t have enough to eat and reproduce, or at least within the given time to allow us to harvest some Honey.
We were however lucky with 10 days of dry warm weather, which motivated our Bees to pollinate and bring some honey to the frames.
So last month we inspected the hive first, saw that it was healthy and the Queen was still active reproducing in laying eggs. As we inspected the 6 flow hive frames we saw that there wasn’t much but it was enough to have succeeded in installing a Flow Hive in Luxembourg and the Bees accepted it too in producing honey inside of it. We look forward to next season’s harvest which should be much more productive and have much more honey as we’ll be present right from the start.
For the lessons we learned, we can summarise it in two points:
- The season has been complicated for any apiculture and beekeeper, with low temperatures through out spring and summer
- The Flow Hive was installed a little bit late
Here’s the result of our first tasty 350 ml pure fresh urban beekeeping honey:
We harvested the honey from the “traditional” hive 2 weeks later and were able to harvest 9kg of fresh natural honey 🙂