Hello health nuts, let’s talk about cashews!
Are you one of those people who only know cashews as an add-on in chinese takeout or an appetiser nut? Or are you somewhat initiated in the wonders of this health ingredient?
I used to be one of those people who just saw it as a strange addition in chinese cashew chicken dishes, but then when I hopped on the plant-based, whole-foods, health-crazed wagon, I started seeing cashews everywhere. Yeah, I ain’t kidding. The alternative food culture has a little obsession with these nuts, and there are many reasons, the most precious one being: their extreme versatility. Today, I will share some foodie inspiration and show you the best things what you can do with cashews. But before we get to that, I will tell you about their health benefits.
Cashews are ripe with proanthocyanidins (say what?), a class of flavonols. In other words: good, sexy antioxidants that stop and reverse the bad stuff. One of the things they do, for example is protect us from heart disease and cancer: they actually starve tumors and stop cancer cells from dividing. BOOM! Their high copper content also gives them the power to eliminate free radicals (aka the toxic sh*t in our lives). Cashews are also very rich in magnesium, providing substance and flexibility in bones and joints. Which makes it an anti-cancer, heart-loving, bone-healthy powerfood.
Now, go get yourself a bag of cashews. And start experimenting…
First off, here’s my favourite cashew recipe of all times:
1. Vesela’s Cashew Cream
– 2 cups of cashews (preferably pre-soaked)
– juice of 1,5 – 2 lemons
– 1 tbsp tahini
– salt and pepper
– 1/2 cup of water
Blend all ingredients well thoroughly until they reach a smooth and creamy consistency. Warning: it’s addictive!
Gogusto girl knows her stuff. You can eat this on its own, with veggie sticks or to spread on sandwiches like you would with cream cheese, but you can also use it as a base for deliciously creamy salad dressings. Vegan foodies can also use it as a base for cheesy sauces (using nutritional yeast for the extra savoury touch) or culture it with probiotics/rejuvelac to make a badass vegan cheese.
2. Oh, here’s a recipe that uses cashew cream in an ONION and greens tart. This kind of made my heart stop when I saw it, so I had to share.
3. Here’s another, more sophisticated recipe of a herbed cashew cream, to eat with a delicious spicy tomato jam.
4. Cashew Mozzarella – ’nuff said.
5. If you like cashews on their own, you can roast them into something extremely tasty, like this honey & sriracha roasted cashews recipe.
6. You can keep things simple and blend cashews into a yummy cashew milk.
7. To then make a cold cashew mocha brew for your coffee loving friends.
8. If you’re a sweet tooth, but you want to keep things healthy, then you better try Olga’s cheesecake recipe:
9. Or Marianne’s Cashew Thumbprint Cookies!
10. Did I mention you can even make caramels out of…cashews (for your not-so-healthy, “I need some lovin‘” days)?
So tell us, what are YOUR favourite cashew tricks?