Sometimes the best things come in small packages.
This is exactly the case with these scrumptious stuffed mini peppers.
The other day, I was surprised to find those organic little ones at Naturata and decided to experiment. I thought they would be perfect for filling and making bite-sized goodness out of them.
At the same time, I am having a complete kale circus going on on my balcony.
My kale plants which I’ve grown in wine crates, are thriving and the best thing of it all is that we literally always have kale that’s ready to eat. All we have to do is just get up there, harvest it and make the magic happen. Kale is so nutritious, so it’s great in salads, smoothies… You name it. But it’s also great cooked for an extra comforting feel. So I figured out this would be my best bet for an OMNOMNOM stuffing. With onions, please.
Ingredients – serves 2 as a side dish, 4 as an appetizer :
- 12-14 cute mini peppers
- 100g of kale, stems out.
- 2 red onions, chopped.
- 1-2 big garlic cloves, chopped.
- some feta cheese or crumbled risella vegan cheese (optional)
- olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- freshly cracked pepper
DIRECTIONS – give it some looove.
- Start by cutting the tops of the peppers. Delicately pull out the seedy parts.
- Put the peppers face down in an oven ready dish or tray and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Start roasting them in the oven, at 180°c for about 10-15 minutes.
- While this is going on, heat a pan with some olive oil and add the garlic and onions. Let cook for 2 minutes, then add the kale.
- Keep cooking the kale in the mixture for about 8 minutes, till completely wilted. Add the seasonings (salt, pepper, oregano) to taste. Add optional ingredients if wanted and cook for another 2 minutes, done. Take the peppers out of the oven. With a little spoon, fill in each pepper with the kale mixture.
- When you are ready, put them back in the oven for about 10 more minutes.
- And then what? You take em out of the oven and YUM happens.
Enjoy those itty bitty babes.