When we were little we were both amazed by the delicious jams our grandmothers and aunts made as easy as with some leftover fruits.
As we grew older and became healthy conscious foodies, we also started doing our jams ourselves instead of buying industrial jams from the supermarket, which actually contain more sugar and artificial flavors than fruit.
So here’s a healthier jam, made with natural and fair ingredients!
But what really makes a jam is its texture… so instead of using pectin sugar or other gelatins, we opted for a healthy option using chia seeds! These superfood seeds will give you a natural gelatinous effect and make a great jam.
As cranberries are a top seasonal fruit and contain lots of antioxidants we thought it would be great to turn them into a versatile, yummy & tangy preparation. This jam is not just great for a simple breakfast spread but also to accompany savoury recipes such as a Christmas “turkey” sauce or to top your biscuits (such as the eggnog biscotti which I will be posting about very soon 😉
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup unrefined raw sugar
- 1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- In a saucepan, combine cranberries and sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves and berries release moisture, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer cranberry mixture to a blender and blend on high until berries and the skins are completely pulverized then add the chia seeds.
- Return mixture to the heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring a few minutes to prevent scorching. Cook until jam thickens.
- Remove from heat, and transfer to a mason jar without the lid until it cools down before you store it in the refrigerator for approx. two weeks.
Credits: Photo by Debora & Jerry, Illustration by Linda Dieschbourg.